Friday 11 July 2014

Superdrug Launches Beauty Studio in Cardiff

Events are like buses - none for ages, and then they all come along at once!  Last week I was fortunate enough to be invited to the opening of the new Beauty Studio in St Davids shopping centre.  Beauty Studio is a new concept store by Superdrug, where as well as picking up your cosmetics, toiletries and fragrance, you can also have your hair, nails, brows and lashes attended to - a one-stop shop as it were, so that you can leave occasion-ready.

Superdrug Beauty Studio


Superdrug Beauty Studio

My first impression was just how light and spacious the store seemed, with sleek custom fittings, bright signage and clearly marked 'zones'.  The hair salon is at the back, with a section in the middle for additional hair services (straightening etc.) brows and nails.  The brands of cosmetics, toiletries and fragrance include ones you don't normally find in a Superdrug, such as the Marc Jacobs perfume, and The Balm cosmetics.  The opening hours are most convenient - they open at 8am and don't close until 8pm, so that you can get your grooming done before work, or after work and before that night out.

Superdrug Beauty Studio

Superdrug Beauty Studio

The staffing is also different to your usual Superdrug, with staff allocated to specific zones e.g. fragrance staff for the fragrance area.  I have to say, that's a really good idea.  I chatted to lots of staff, and they'd all had some intensive training, and seemed genuinely excited and passionate about this new venture - and more importantly, they knew their stuff.

Superdrug Beauty Studio

Superdrug Beauty Studio

I tried out a few services while I was there - I had false eyelashes applied, my hair curled, and my make-up done, as they were all complementary for the launch.  A treat indeed, but the prices are very affordable too.  I think it was around £30 for a cut and blow dry, and the prices of the other services such as the brow bar are comparable to other retailers.   There are a few fun features in store too, to play around with - a screen that takes your picture and that transposes different hairstyles on to you, and a little video clip selfie that you can have sent instantly to your social media.  All in all, this makes for an 'experience', and I can imagine the hoards of hen parties that descend on Cardiff being able to while away a good few hours in this new store, before they hit St Mary's Street for their big night out.

Superdrug Beauty Studio
Gemma and I try out the video selfie!

Superdrug Beauty Studio

Superdrug Beauty Studio

It was such a fun event, and really nice to catch up with some other bloggers, including the lovely Gemma of Fat Frocks.  Very generously, us bloggers received a gift voucher to spend in store, and I have already stocked up on some Bourjois makeup and have a return visit planned to try out some of the new ranges that aren't stocked in your usual Superdrug.

Thank you to the lovely staff at Superdrug Beauty Studio for answering all of my questions and for providing all of the beauty treatments.  Thanks also to the lovely people at Grayling for the invite, and to the lady that kept me topped up with the Welsh bubbly!

5 comments:

  1. What a great concept - one stop shop for everything, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was such a great opening, will definitely be heading back to look at Makeup Revolution. The £3 liquid liner I got is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wales is clearly the place to be for a better quality of store! The only store that's had an overhaul in my area recently is a big ol' Sainsburys... somehow not nearly as fun, or as pretty!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great sounding event! Also super awesome that you were able to have done the complimentary application of false eyelashes, hair curling and makeup done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great concept, I've always kind of wanted to have my hair curled by a professional hairdresser (they'd have a lot of work with it, but I guess a professional would actually enjoy doing it) but I guess it's too expensive to do casually here in Finland and there aren't many places like that even in bigger cities. The only time someone actually offered to make my hair in one bigger mall, I didn't have time to let them do it and my hair was having a bad day. I think the best thing about that kind of shop and service concepts would be the tips they give, because here sometimes staff doesn't really know enough to suggest proper products to different kinds of customers. I think they try, but it's always better if they can focus on one thing :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...