Friday 3 October 2014

'Jeanette' Diner Style Dress by Lindybop for Porthcawl Elvis Festival

Elvis festivals pop up all over the world, but we're lucky in South Wales to have one of the biggest right on our doorstep, at the seaside resort of Porthcawl.  Held at the end of September over three days, the Porthcawl Elvis Festival welcomes thousands of visitors each year to its programme of events, including tribute shows at the Grand Pavilion, and fringe events happening all across town.  Pop-up stalls offer any Elvis merchandise you can dream up, and everywhere you look there are Elvises!

We headed down on the Sunday afternoon, on a gloriously warm Autumn day, and of course I had to wear something fitting - I chose the 'Jeanette' dress by Lindybop, in the red colour way with contrast black pockets, collar, and heart shape buttons.

Elvis festival Jeanette Lindybop Dress

Many of the main shows at the Grand Pavilion sell out in advance, but if you head to the pleasure ground at Coney Beach, the Hi Tides bar puts on all-day Elvis tribute acts that are free to attend.

Elvis festival Jeanette Lindybop Dress
'Jeanette' dress, Lindybop
Bag, Bikini (gift)
Brogues, Shucrazy on Ebay
Sunglasses, Dorothy Perkins


Elvis festival

Porthcawl itself is worth a visit if you happen to be in the area.  The Grand Pavilion often puts on events, from evening shows to afternoon tea-dances, and there's an interesting mix of architecture along the seafront, including lots of 1930's homes and Art Deco inspired hotels.  The main 'beach' alongside the town is rocky, but a short walk away past the little harbour is the large, sandy beach.

Elvis festival

People-watching is the main attraction, and of course the pubs were spilling out on to the terraces, whilst down on the beach there were donkey rides, trampolines and children defending their icecreams from the seagulls.  It's a very friendly environment, with coach loads arriving from all over the UK, but very busy and loud, and at times I did feel like I was in a episode of 'Gavin and Stacey'!

Elvis festival

As for the nature of the tribute acts - Elvis's whole career is represented, from the Sun Studio days through the movie years and finishing with the Vegas era.  Sometimes the performers that aren't great singers have oodles of entertainment value and are more enjoyable than the good ones.  I am sad though that I missed the young '68 Comeback leather-clad Elvis - the lady sat next to me was keen to share her pictures taken on her phone!

Elvis festival

Elvis

Elvis festival

Elvis festival

It's a bit tacky.  But it's so much FUN and I defy anyone not to get carried away on the atmosphere.  I am quite sad that next year's event will be after my wedding, otherwise I think it would have made an amazing hen party!  Well, there's always the sister event in April in...Benidorm!!!

On a final note, I must mention that on walking along the seafront we happened upon a choir from West Wales, singing a Welsh classic, 'Calon Lân'.  We applauded at the end and asked them if they knew any Elvis, and found ourselves beckoned into their circle to help them with a rendition of 'Can't Help Falling In Love'!  It was a wonderful moment, though while my Baby got asked to join their choir, they didn't ask me...

Have you ever been to an Elvis event?




30 comments:

  1. What fab pictures! I love your whole outfit, totally vintage and stylish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! I have a good resident photographer! x

      Delete
  2. Your dress is divine - great for the occasion, but great for any occasion! The festival looks fun - a bit of tack never did anyone any harm! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a blast! And I LOVE that dress! We actually have something like this in southern Ontario every year. I've never gone but I think I need to after seeing your photos and hearing how much you enjoyed it.

    That moment on the beach sounds priceless.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo you'll have to post photos if you do end up going to your local event! x

      Delete
  4. The Elvis festival sounds fab, I had no idea that was going on - or that Porthcawl was so pretty. Yuo look great in your Lindy Bop dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a visit - maybe next September?? x

      Delete
  5. Oh! This looks like so much fun! And your dress is marvelous! I love the color and the lines of the pockets!

    I have yet to go to an Elvis event actually! I would love to go to one someday!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's bound to be an Elvis event in California, isn't there a massive one in Las Vegas?? x

      Delete
  6. Someone's got wifi in Spain... Heh, I wasn't going to comment too much to have a break but the odd post is capturing my attention - like this one! Sounds amazing, how great to have it so close by. And that dress looks truly great on you - it really suits you. I'm always sad there aren't more Elvis impersonators of the young variety, but like you say, doesn't mean they're the most fun! Now, back to the tapas... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO jealous of the tapas!! I do hope you have a glass of Rioja to go with it xx

      Delete
  7. Great pictures,and I love your vintage dress,those shoes are divine! I love oxfords, and grey ones are even better. the first Elvis needs a shave right/ ;-))
    from the link up,

    please stop by, jess

    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tacky Elvis fun! Is there any other kind of Elvis fun? Although he really was rather sexy back in the day, I just saw some old pictures of him and totally got it. That dress is really fun, I love the old school diner waitress feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a film where young Elvis plays a doctor - Doctor Elvis. Brilliant. x

      Delete
  9. Beautiful dress and I am In Love with those oxfords!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this vintage look, very well done!!
    Baci,
    Coco
    Coco et La vie en rose / Bloglovin / Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds fo much fun :) I can only imagine the less talented singers with their humorous Elvis acts.
    Your dress is so cute, I remember seeing it on your video some time ago and always wanted to see it in use. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well finally the dress has had an outing on the blog! Sorry for the wait! x

      Delete
  12. I love the red vintage dress Porcelina, especially worn with the black shirt underneath. Retro, feminine, chic and wearing my most favorite color combination of all. =)

    Welcome by sometimes. Thanks, Ada. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually all one dress, there's no separate shirt underneath. Lindybop have some great vintage styles, but they're all modern made - worth a peek, you might find one you love! Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a blast! Love your vintage dress and that cute Elvis bag!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your dress and hair - and this event looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are fun! Your settings are always perfect. Your outfit is a good colour for you and the style is perfect for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You definitely picked a perfect dress for the event and I love you shoe pairing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know I just discovered, like REALLY discovered Elvis and his complete song book last year, and I am now the biggest Elvis fan. I would have loved to go to this festival and your look was totally perfect. That picture of you and the Elvis statue is really beautiful and makes me think someone out there, like Coca Cola should use it in an ad!

    Thank you for linking up with #reasonstodress and remind me to get your size!!! on a side not there is a vintage seller at the local modena market that sells original NEW vintage swimwear from the 50s. They have the most amazing full piece bathing suits, when you come to Italy stay with me and I will bring you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favourite event in Wales! SO tacky but SO fun! I need to dress up next time, though! I've only walked around but never gone to watch any acts, but I definitely need to! God, I love The Elvis Festival. You look amazing, by the way! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...