Friday 24 October 2014

Charity Shop Wedding Dresses

Would you wear a charity shop wedding dress?  With the 'average' price of a wedding gown topping £1,000, it's no wonder that brides-to-be are searching for affordable alternatives.

One option is to look in charity shops.  Some of you will recoil at the idea of wearing a secondhand wedding dress, but not all wedding dresses in charity shops are secondhand.  Some are unworn, donated by individuals, others are end of line from the makers.  Personally, as I wear vintage clothing, it really isn't much of a stretch to imagine myself in a secondhand dress.

Charity shop wedding dress

The dress pictured above was in Tenovus on Cardiff's Whitchurch Road recently.  They were only asking £50, and it's brand new, never worn, still with the tag inside.  I did try it on but alas, my ample derriere prevented me from zipping it up!  Also, I have a feeling that it was one made in China, as I recognise the style from some on Ebay and Etsy.  The quality was reasonable, but not high.

Many charities will have a specific bridal store, where they send all of their wedding dresses, or they may have an online boutique like Oxfam does.  In Pontypridd recently, I came across Rowan Tree Cancer Care, a local charity that has an entire wedding 'boutique' within its store, including a rail of wedding dresses (from £100), a few rails of bridesmaid and prom dresses, and a rather large selection of hats, veils, faux fur shrugs and other accessories.  Men weren't forgotten either, with a few rails of suits, shirts and waistcoats.

Charity shop wedding dress

Charity shop wedding dress


Charity shop wedding dress

I have compiled some tips for getting a charity shop wedding dress, as there are a few things to factor in.

You're more likely to get lucky with a charity shop wedding dress if:
1) You stay open-minded.  If you have a particular designer in mind, then you might be disappointed.
2) You have sewing skills.  Being able to examine the construction of a dress and see what can be done is really helpful in reimagining what a dress could be.  Lots of 1980's dressses have perfectly good skirts and bodices, but it's the sleeves and embellishments that date them - try and see past them, at what you could do with that wonderful fabric.  Perhaps turn a 1980's dress into a 1950's style tea-length dress? 
3) You go regularly.  This helps you to spot things first, but also to get to know the staff, who are then more likely to give you a phone call when something comes in.

You're less likely to get lucky if:
1) You're an unsual size/height.  For example, you might struggle if you're a very petite lady with a large bust, or perhaps you're very tall - most dresses I've seen in the charity shops are for pretty 'average' figures and builds.  You could get lucky, but the odds are not as much in your favour!
2) You want something very specific.  It really is the luck of the draw.  Of the ones I saw in the Pontypridd shop, most were of the same style - a sort of corseted top section with embroidery, and a fairly full skirt.
3) You don't have much time.  It does take a lot of man hours to trail the charity shops!

Have you had any success with a charity shop wedding dress?  Or does the idea give you shivers?  I'd love to hear what you think!

28 comments:

  1. I'd have zero qualms wearing a thrift/charity shop wedding dress, assuming it hailed from a decade (or had the look of one from) that was near and dear to my heart. When Tony and I tied the knot a decade ago, we had an incredibly small scale, informal civil ceremony wedding and I didn't wear a traditional bridal gown. We hope to have a vow renewal ceremony one day and when we do, I'm definitely going to wear a vintage wedding (or wedding appropriate) dress for that. If I can luck out and find it in a thrift shop, all the better (because it will mean I can actually try it on in person, instead of just taking a gamble on the fit front with an online purchase).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a lovely idea Jessica, good luck finding that special dress! x

      Delete
  2. If I was that way inclined buying second hand would be the only option. I've got two vintage wedding dresses on my rails, waiting for the right women to come along and I've got my Great Grandmother's gown from 1912 in a box under the bed. Why buy new? I'd rather spend the money on a fantastic honeymoon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oo I'd browse your rails if you were closer!! x

      Delete
  3. Mine wasn't charity shop, but it was vintage and so cost £85. I'd been hunting for something completely different but fell in love with the one I bought as soon as I saw it.

    I feel sad to see wedding dresses in charity shops, but I suppose they're not really re-wearable things in most cases, even with a dye job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a bargain, I'd love to see a pic of it! Did you go for something mid century? x

      Delete
    2. Here you go! 30s ivory silk. I'd been looking for a 20s style one as I was VERY into all things 1920s back then, used to swap 20s mixtapes with a goth friend (mixtapes; ye gods that puts a date stamp on me!) but after seeing this I had to have it.

      http://crinolinerobot.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/outfit-post-my-wedding-dress.html

      Delete
  4. Investing in a second hand dress is a fantastic idea and I great way to save if you have a small wedding budget! These are great tips.
    I spent so much time looking for a wedding dress. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a dress. Shortly after my engagement I went to a couple bridal shops to try on some new dresses. While I found several I liked none felt right or were in my budget. Hours were spent searching Etsy and Ebay. In the end I made my own dress, as well as a second shorter reception dress. (I'll be posting pictures on my blog soon!) If any of our local second hand shops had anything that fit I would have purchased a dress and saved myself the headache of making one!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always in awe of your sewing skills! I can't wait to see your photos! x

      Delete
  5. I'm not the marrying kind, or a major fan of most wedding dresses (far too samey) but of course I'd go the secondhand route! Vintage wedding dresses are very popular (hence entire vintage wedding fairs devoted to them). Why would anyone be squeamish about it? The dresses have only been worn for one day before, that's pretty light usage, or as you say, not even worn at all, and I would far rather save my cash for something other than a one-wear-only dress. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that a lot of wedding dresses are 'samey', that's just how I feel! x

      Delete
  6. That dress in the window from your first picture is lovely! I can totally see you wearing a glamorous slim-fitting dress. Too bad it didn't fit, though there's still plenty of dresses to look at! Dress shopping was my favorite part of prom and my favorite part about wedding prep. Can't wait to see what you pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dress shopping is always fun, I love shopping for dresses for any occasion! x

      Delete
  7. I started at charity and consignment shops when I was looking for a wedding dress. I found out that most that were true "second hand" as in worn in a wedding, were usually from the 80s, but most contemporary dresses were never worn, and a bride bought it, thinking it was the one, only to come across another dress she liked more later. But after searching and searching at second hand, charity and even vintage shops, I found nothing to my liking. One day I randomly spotted a bridal shop with my mother, and we decided to pull in, and I found mine in the, as you mentioned, end of the line, area - an area mixed with now "out of season"/end of line gowns, as well as samples, where what you find is what you get - similar to a second hand experience. Luckily I found what I wanted, and it fit so perfectly it needed no major alterations! I only requested the haulter be brought up a bit, as I didn't like how low it was, and for them to put in the necessary hooks and loops for a French bustle. And it only cost me $300 total!

    Ironically enough though, just three weeks before my wedding, I found a vintage late 50s-early 60s tea length lace wedding dress at a friend's vintage shop, and once again, it fit like a glove, and I bought it to change into after our first dance, that dress cost $75. So it CAN be done second-hand and it CAN be done cheaply!

    I wish you all the best on your search! I love the neck of the dress you spotted in the window, shame about it not fitting! What a wonderful price!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you had fate on your side with both of those dresses! Very lucky! I just did a search on your blog and found photos of your wonderful wedding day - I am in love with both dresses, but particularly the first one, that's just the style I have in mind for my own dress! A bit of Old Hollywood glamour. Thank you for the inspiration x

      Delete
  8. i was never into wedding things and wedding dresses. it's just not my cup of tea to spend thousands of €s for just one day. but when i came to the point to get married, i was looking for a little dress that was totally me. i found my dress by chance on ebay - i actuallly won another 40s dress and checked the other auctions of the seller ... there it was, a beige lace dress from the late 40s/early 50s. i bought it for 30€ incl. shared shipping costs (because of the otgher dress i won). my dress isn't an actual wedding dress and i'm happy about it! i hope i will find an occasian to wear it again.
    i wear vintage every day, pieces i found on flea markets, in thriftshops or online - i'm used to wear 'other peoples old stuff' - why should i wear something new to my wedding?
    ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing pictures of you in your fabulously sweet dress - absolute perfection! You looked amazing, and what a steal too with the price. x

      Delete
  9. I think I'm far too fussy, I also certainly don't have any sewing skills whatsoever and I 100% am a non-standard size - in fact, I'm what you described exactly: a busty, short person! Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with the principle - it's the same as wearing vintage, surely! CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you can get a charity shop dress altered just as much as one off the peg though - although sometimes seamstresses can be expensive, so you'd have to factor that in I suppose! Nothing wrong with being fussy as a bride, surely?! x

      Delete
  10. I'd have no problem with wearing secondhand myself, but mine was made for me as a wedding gift, that way I knew it'd be long enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely to have it made as a gift! I hear you about length - a lot of high streets ones aren't long enough for me. P x

      Delete
  11. Have really enjoyed looking through you blog today! I have just done a blog post about my wedding, although my dress wasn't a second hand, the rest of the day is all hand made, mainly by my mum, so really cheep and personal!

    I will be back again, fun blog,

    Authentic Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Alice for your visit! I can;t wait to hop over to your blog and read your wedding post! x

      Delete
  12. You know, I was driving past a charity shop in an exclusive part of Cheshire a couple of,weeks ago and saw a high end dry cleaners pull up and unload a van full of clothes, all wrapped in their lovely bags. I can only conclude that they were uncollected items that were being donated. Very intriguing indeed. I would have loved to have had a look!! Who knows there might have been a wedding dress or two x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo gosh I would have slammed on the brakes straight away!! I wouldn't have been able to stop fantasising about what had happened to the people who should have collected them too - were they working for MI5 and had to leave in a hurry? Who knows!! x

      Delete
  13. I would absolutely wear a second-hand wedding dress - in fact, I'm planning on it. Granted, we're not quite there yet, but sometime in the next couple of years we probably will be, and there's no way I could bring myself to spend $1200 on a dress I'll wear once in my life. I'm actually already checking out styles that I like on Etsy. It's not quite the bargain that a dress from an actual thrift store would be, but it's still much cheaper than looking at new wedding dresses from your average bridal shop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that there are some real gems out there to be had & even if you can't sew buying a dress 2nd hand you would certainly be able to affored the adjustments! I've seen some beauties in my time & each one of those dresses has a story to tell! I think you've given some great guidelines here! Ax

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...