Tuesday 21 October 2014

Martinis to Celebrate the Dismantling of the 70's FIreplace

I had been looking forward to our next DIY project, erasing yet another '70s touch from our house by dismantling this feature wall, with built in mirrored knick-knack shelf.  It was with great relish and gusto that we got out the sledge hammer, chisels, and steel toe-capped boots.

Before...

Fireplace dismantling


Going...

Fireplace dismantling

Fireplace dismantling

Gone!

Fireplace dismantling

Fireplace dismantling

Those blocks were incredibly heavy, and we were glad of the steel toe-capped boots after a few near-misses! That fire back, is a ceramic or clay one I think, and says 'Holmes' on it.  I'm guessing it's the original one, but it's smaller than the space, so I'm not sure.  At some point, an extra steel lintel was put on top of it and above that another line of bricks, below the main steel lintel.  When we took the feature wall down, we found the gaps between the fire back and bricks to be stuffed with an assortment of bits of brick and rubble.  Behind the knick-knack shelves was also a gap filled with rubble, and also that '70s building material of choice, scrunched up newspaper.  Why?!

We still need to take away those blue tiles in front of the opening (they're '70s too) but hopefully we've done enough work now to get the woodburning stove people to come and give us a quote.  Our chimney stack was taken down and the opening tiled over, so getting the flue pipe through the roof will be part of the work for the professionals do (our roof is really high, there's no way we're doing it ourselves), but we're keen to do some other work to help cut costs.  We have been given a ballpark estimate of around £2,000.  Does anyone know if that's about right?

To celebrate our hard work, I made a martini, served in one of my vintage cocktail glasses of course.  And what to wear, for such an occasion?  Well, a jumper with martinis on!!

Fireplace dismantling

Fireplace dismantling

martinis

Fireplace dismantling

Jumper: Oasis, via car boot sale
Tulle skirt: Coast
Lipstick: Carmine by Besame
Shoes: Bowes Palace by Clarks

I will of course keep you all updated with the progress of the lounge redecoration, but it will be a long process I imagine - first the stove installation, with a nice Welsh slate hearth as we're in Wales, then stripping back all of the wallpaper and getting the walls replastered, sealed and painted, followed by getting a nice mantlepiece or surround, removing the carpet and getting the parquet polished up.  The aim is to get it all done by Christmas.  I'm imagining something like this, what do you think?

north wales stoves
Image source: North Wales Stoves

As a final note, I should warn you all that proper martinis are very, very strong cocktails, and that if you have two of them followed by wine with dinner, then you most likely will end up feeling as horrid the next day as I did.


26 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading your blog although I don't very often comment. You must be so happy to get rid of the 1970s fireplace. Your choice of fireplace will be lovely and cosy for your Welsh home.
    I am (very) slowly doing up my 1920s home. This is where I looked to for fireplaces. (www.c20fireplaces.co.uk)
    I have the original fireplace surrounds but not hearths and have a tiled hearth from them for my dining room and will get another when I renovate my lounge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there lurker! I am always pleased to get comments from people that I don't 'know', and I'm chuffed to hear that you enjoy reading my little old corner of the blogosphere, thank you. Thanks also for that fireplace tip, really interesting, you could lose a few hours there couldn't you?! x

      Delete
  2. Must feel so good to have destroyed the old fireplace! What you have in mind looks so nice... I love the idea of woodburners, can't have one in my rented house, so will live vicariously through you instead! I'm actually very fortunate because my rented house has a beautiful fireplace, I think it's original but the tiles are quite 30s... I will share photos when I'm finished with getting bits and pieces for it! I've gone for more of a mid century modern decor and on reflection I'm not sure it works with the fireplace... They're quite the statement piece, turns out! I remember you mentioning this jumper ages ago, glad to see it put to proper use ;) CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, can't wait to see your photos! We can compare fireplaces. That sounded odd?! x

      Delete
  3. I imagine it was some work! I love what you invision, so pretty. I could use a martini sweater as it has to be my favorite drink next to wine. Such a cute outfit!
    from the link up
    please stop by, jess xx
    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another martini fan! How wonderful! I thought it had become quite unfashionable, because of the whole male stereotype from James Bond and also because it's not sweet, and today all cocktails seem to come with the propensity to give you instant diabetes. I must share some of my martini recipes on here. Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  4. Your work really is paying off, the lounge is going to look wonderful when its done. Our wood burner cost around the same 7 years ago, we didn't chose the cheapest quote preferring to go for a company that came recommended by a couple of people.
    Love the cocktail print jumper. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think recommendations are really important, you're right. We've had a few, so we'll see what the quotes are, another man is coming out this week apparently. Thanks for stopping by! And for the jumper love!! x

      Delete
  5. Cheers and congratulations on your next step done with home renovations. Can't wait to see the finished product. That stove you have in mind is lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely - but bear in mind it could be YEARS before we are done!! x

      Delete
  6. I have to be honest, I quite like the 70s mirrored knick knack shelf, but your vision looks really pretty. Love, love those shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone, it's amazing the number of friends and family who have come out in support of the knick-knack shelf! And the wallpaper!! Oh well, the bricks might get recycled in the garden somewhere, and I have plans for the mirrored tiles too.

      x

      Delete
  7. I've never seen a stove in a spot for a fireplace before. Very unique.

    Looks like that was some serious heavy work.

    When I was vacuuming half of the bricks from our fireplace just fell off! LOL Then I decided to redo the whole thing and take down the rest when my husband was away and they all fell off and fell onto me my in one huge heap. It was terrible!!! Mind you, they were only half bricks. But still. It wasn't fun. I had some scrapes and lots of damage to our hardwood floor. We hired a professional to come in and retile it. So much better now.

    As a big time martini drinker I'm dying over that sweater!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry that you got attacked by bricks!! I bet you weren't wearing your steel toe-capped boots, were you Suzanne?! Gosh that could have been nasty, sounds like the floor took the brunt of it but still, some DIY scrapes to bear witness!

      As for stoves in old fireplaces, it's incredibly popular over here in the UK. A large proportion of homes are Victorian, and despite many old fireplaces being blocked up, the woodburner installed instead has become a trendy option to do something with that 'dead' space.

      I had no idea that so many people who read this blog love martinis?! Even more common ground, that's brilliant!
      x

      Delete
  8. I like to see what you've been doing in your house. We are in the process of buying a 1950s semi, with lots of hideous 1970s DIY, which we will eventually get rid of. We too have a hideous fireplace. Your ideas look lovely. I'll just be glad to get in my house before Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with the move - I do hope you'll be safely in and settled before Christmas! x

      Delete
  9. Ha!! I love Martinis but yes they are dangerous! Love your jumper & your ring is so so beautiful! Love your idea for your new living room & it will be wonderful to have it done by Christmas! Our bathroom is just about finished & I can't wait to dress it! Its been a drag thats for sure! Miss seeing you daily! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I miss seeing you daily too! I do keep popping by your blog when I can. I remember you saying about your bathroom, you'll have to share some photos, how exciting! x

      Delete
  10. Oh how I wish I could do the same with our 1970's DIY fireplace but as we are renting that's never going to happen. I shall have to live vicariously through your lovely room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never would have guessed there was so much brick work involved from your first pictures. Love your " after " look your trying to achieve and cute sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another martini fan here! That's some serious work you're putting in there, it'll be great to see how it all turns out. You might get lucky when you remove those tiles; we found the originals under the later ones when we did some renovation.

    When we had our rickety front door replaced, that was filled with old newspapers too. WHY? IT JUST HOLDS THE DAMP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo to martinis!! How odd about your door being stuffed with newspapers too?! Crazy! x

      Delete
  13. Your martini print sweater/jumper is the bee's knees!!! I love a great, unexpected novelty print like that in new and old garments alike.

    Wonderful work on tackling this hefty DIY project! I really hope the rest of it continues to go well for you guys.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. You deserve a martini after all of that hard work! I can't wait to see how it turns out! Your martini sweater is super cute and I love it paired with the tulle skirt!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only you could look SO GOOD after a day of hard work. Good for you for undertaking this awesome DIY home reno, I love what you plan on accomplishing and considering how much you did in one go I'm sure you'll have it done by Christmas. Your look makes me think of the sexy vixens in a James Bond film....martini and all I LOVE IT! I used to LOVE cooking in high heels and you just reminded me to do it more often - hard work and glam go well hand in hand.

    Thank you for joinging the #reasonstodress linkup!

    Angie from reasons to dress

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty martini print top…
    AND I am amazed that you would tackle a project this big at home!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...