Tuesday 2 December 2014

Working Wardrobe: 24th November

I'm back with another roundup of what I've been wearing to work.

working wardrobe 24th nov

Last week saw the biggest change to my personal style in years, in the form of a new hairdo!  I went to the hairdresser armed with a picture of French blogger Pandora, and had a blunt fringe cut in.  I also had a bit of feathering around the face because I thought that might be more flattering on me than having it all one length.  I'm so pleased with it!  I feel a bit more '60s, and a lot sexier.  It's more work in terms of maintenance.  When I get up in the morning, my hair resembles that of '80s children's TV presenter Sarah Greene.  So I have to get the straighteners out and tame it into submission.  A small price to pay.

Looking back at these photos, I'm not sure that jumper's actually flattering, I think I'm supposed to fill the top half out a bit more?!  Oh well, it was lovely and cosy on a chilly Monday morning.

Monday: Swing trousers (20th Century Foxy), Woolovers jumper (via ebay), Accessorize beret, Clarks brogues.
Tuesday: That Peacocks pinafore dress again!  Lillywhite's silk blouse, via vintage shop in Cardiff (now closed down).  Boots, F&F at Tesco (via car boot sale, brand new with tags for £2).
Wednesday: Day off work (got my hair cut!).
Thursday: Pencil dress, George at Asda (via car boot sale, brand new with tags for £2), mary-janes, Clarks (via ebay, less than half price).  Cardigan, Primark.
Friday: Skirt, Peacocks.  Petticoat, Lindybop.  Cardigan, Collectif.  Mary-janes, Clarks.

I love that Lillywhite's blouse, but it's very short in the body so I can only wear it under dresses really, rather than tucking it into skirts and trousers, as it just pops out again.  I'm guessing it's 1950s, here's the label, any help with dating it much appreciated!  ** update: Vix reckons it's '70s, see comments **

Lillywhites

Finally, I should mention that I had a petticoat drama on Friday - because I was wearing tights, the petticoat bunched up when I walked, forming a sort of marsupial-like pouch under my skirt.  I had to nip into the changing rooms in Peacocks and whip it off!

What have you been wearing to work this week?  Any wardrobe malfunctions?

17 comments:

  1. I worked for the Forte group for years, we used to get a 25% staff discount from Lillywhites. I'm not sure of the age of the label but spotting that over locking and the bi-fold cuffs I'd hazard a guess at 1970s - the blouse looks great under the tartan pinafore.
    The fringe looks great! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really helpful, thank you Vix! I thought the shop might have got it a bit wrong.

      Have a tip top day! X

      Delete
  2. Again such cute outfits, my favorites are the two bottom ones, especially the one with the petticoat :) And yeah, some petticoats tend to rise when wearing tights and you need to tame them all the time, but some with a little smoother fabric will stay in their place. I haven't used Lindy Bop petticoats, are they good? As far as I know, they're probably the cheapest petticoats there are. Some organza petticoats with underskirts will definitely stay in their place and give a nice shape, but I don't know the brand of the one I have and haven't met other like it online either. The only bad thing about it is that it gets a bit... "electric" in the winter so I'll probably give shocks to everyone who touches me :D (Not like that happens anyway with my hair.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lindy Bop petticoats are fine for the price, but I find the netting quite scratchy on my skin, and I do get the bunching-up problem when wearing tights. They're a bargain though. I would like to try some of the chiffon petticoats available from shops like Dollydagger, as although they're much more expensive, I bet they'd be much softer on the skin and I would hope they wouldn't ride up as much. I like the sound of you being electric!! x

      Delete
  3. All of these outfits are super cute! I love the plaid dress and boots!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hat and the new hair!

    bisous
    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the new 'do! You suit a fringe so well - definitely sexy. I had to look down at myself to see what I was wearing today, only to be reminded that it's my usual low-effort pencil skirt and plain top combo. Heh. BUT I did just buy some blackwatch tartan cigarette trousers from Collectif last week and I wore those yesterday with some catseye frames, and felt very pleased with myself for breaking the mold... ;) I rarely wear trousers to work but when it gets cold sometimes I can't face tights so good to have more options. And the Collectif ones I find really comfortable as they're so stretchy! CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot WAIT to see your new trousers, I have been dying for a pair of black cigarette trousers for years, am yet to find a pair that fits perfectly (have tried Lady K, Tara Starlet, The White Company etc.), but if you give the tartan ones a good review I might have to order them in plain black! x

      Delete
  6. I love these outfit round ups! I love seeing all the pretty outfits you wear to work! I work at a geology lab so I don't get to wear too many nice things to work... I have to keep my legs covered with pants in case of chemical spills and also have to wear things I can get dirty. :( I love all these outfits on you! My favorites are the dresses :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe that explains your fancy taste in dresses, if normally you're in lab wear at work! I am luck to be able to dress up for work, and on weekends I am normally dressed for DIY! X

      Delete
  7. Your hair looks great! I love it! Also, your style is so cool, because each picture is so different. I like how you changed it up,a bit each day. The third dress is absolutely amazing on you! And you make your bed every day?! I have made mine maybe ten times this year. You have inspired me and I am going to actually make it before I leave today!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's jhust roughly made for the photo, but I always make it properly later, I can't get into a bed unless it's made first! X

      Delete
  8. I'm so digging your bangs! You're killing it with the French girl hair. ;)
    I love those last two outfits you posted, that 50s/60s style is really smashing on you. That last look especially - swoon worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am LOVING my hair like this! X

      Delete
  9. Goodness, do I love the pattern on Thursday's chic curve hugging dress. I've always been mad for damask and damask-esque patterns (seriously - the rug in my home office/craft room/photography studio is a big black and white damask print stunner), a camp that I would place that frock squarely into.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pattern too, but had to laugh at my Baby's comment that "it's not dissimilar to the dining room wallpaper"!

      Delete
  10. My favourite is the second one, love that print and the colours together.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...